Article Short description
Seven students were hospitalized after an individual sprayed a gas canister in the school cafeteria of JHS 123 in the Bronx. The canister was identified as Mace, which typically contains phenacyl chloride (CN), temporarily disrupting the senses and causing burning and tears in the eyes. Though the students suffered breathing difficulties, officials have stated the injuries are not life-threatening. Three additional students refused medical treatment.
Someone sprayed a gas canister in a school cafeteria in the Bronx: 7 students in the hospital
Seven students from a Bronx school were hospitalized after someone sprayed a gas canister in the school cafeteria, reports ABC7.
It happened at JHS 123 in the Soundview area, officials said.
The Department of Education says a device went off in the cafeteria. Now they, together with the New York police, are investigating what happened.
They allegedly sprayed a Mace gas canister. These cans usually contain a mixture of the irritant with the active ingredient phenacyl chloride (CN). It temporarily disrupts the functioning of the senses, causes burning in the eyes, tears, and a severe runny nose.
On the subject: Pupils in New York carry weapons to schools: guards seized three pistols in a day
Seven students were taken to the hospital with breathing difficulties, but their injuries are not life-threatening.
Three schoolchildren refused medical treatment, officials said.
Read more NY daily news online on our portal.