Article Short description
Manhattanhenge, a phenomenon where the sun sets perfectly between the grid of Manhattan’s skyscrapers, occurs twice a year with two days in May and July. The sun will set in May 2023 on May 29th and 30th at 20:13 and 20:12 respectively, and in July 2023 on July 12th and 13th at 20:20 and 20:21 respectively. To capture the perfect shot, plan ahead, stake out a suitable spot and have the right equipment, including a tripod and quality camera with settings for low light. Best streets to watch Manhattanhenge include 57th Street, 42nd Street, and 34th Street.
On May 29 and 30, Manhattanhenge can be observed in New York: where is the best place to look
Twice a year, the setting sun fits perfectly into the grid of Manhattan’s streets and sets between the skyscrapers. This phenomenon is called Manhattanhenge and gives city dwellers the opportunity to take stunning sunset photos.
Manhattanhenge occurs four times a year: two days in May and two days in July.
Manhattanhenge in May 2023:
- Monday, May 29 – 20:13;
- Tuesday, May 30 – 20:12.
Manhattanhenge in July 2023:
- Wednesday, July 12 – 20:20;
- Thursday, July 13 – 20:21.
How to see Manhattanhenge and take the best photos
1. Plan ahead: don’t forget to check the weather and stake your spot well before sunset. Like any major event in New York City, Manhattanhenge draws crowds.
On the subject: Museum streets: places in New York that fascinate with beauty and history
2. Choose the correct street. Best Streets to Watch Manhattanhenge: 57th Street, 42nd Street, 34th Street, 23rd Street, 14th Street, Tudor City Overpass, Manhattan, Hunter’s Point South Park in Long Island City (Queens ).
3. Take suitable equipment with you and check the settings. If you really want the perfect shot, grab a tripod and a quality camera. Enter settings for low light. Choose a high aperture, such as F/16, and the lowest possible ISO for your camera.
Read more NY daily news online on our portal.